Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Prisoner of Zenda - Common Questions

Common Questions

Practice 1 - What you have learnt ?
Sample Answers :

(1) I have learnt an important lesson from 'The Prisoner of Zenda'. It is the need to face challenges with courage. Rudolf knew the danger of impersonating King Rudolf V. Yet, he continued doing it to save the throne from the evil Duke Michael. His courageous acts paid off when he rescued the king. I learnt that we must handle challengers with courage.

(2) In the novel The prisoner of Zenda, I have learnt the values of honour and courage.
I learnt that honour is an important attribute to have. Rudolf Rassendyll is an honourable man. He promised to rescued King Rudolf the Fifth even though he had only met him briefly. He was willing to put his life in danger. He did not break his promise even though Duke Michael offered him riches and position. Here, Rudolf was not driven by greed but honour.
I also learnt that one must have courage to do the right thing. Rudolf impersonated King Rudolf the Fifth despite knowing that it would endanger his life. In fact, he was almost killed a few times. Even though he was outnumbered when he wanted to save the King, he had the courage to fight on.
These are the two values that I learnt from the novel.


Practice 2 - Which character in the story do you like the most ? Why ?

The character I like the most is Princess Flavia, the cousin to King Rudolf the Fifth. She is very beautiful and charming. She is loved greatly by the people who want Rudolf to set a date for the wedding quickly so that she can be the Queen of Ruritania. The Princess is also and observant woman. She can recognise some differences between Rudolf Rassendyll and King Rudolf almost immediately even though she is not aware that Rudolf has impersonated the King. She says to Rudolf, "You seem different. You look different. You are thinner. You've change somehow". She is also very concerned for the safety of Rudolf as she knows there is a conflict between Duke Michael and him. She warns him to be more careful. I admire her courage to make the stand to remain as Queen and help the King to rule the country even though the person she truly loves is Rudolf Rassendyll. Her greatness lies in these words spoken with such conviction, "Love is not all. You have shown me that honour must come first. My honour compels me to stay here. I cannot runaway from my duty. I must serve my country and my House." She has placed duty before love. Yet her sorrow is deep."Oh Rudolf! Rudolf ! Why did we ever meet ? The only comfort she has is the promise given by Rudolf. "My beautiful Queen, your ring will always be on my finger, My heart will always be yours." The silent exchange of the single stalk of red rose once a year is a constant reminder of their true love for each other, a love that demands great sacrific

No comments: